The module will allow the learner to understand the concept of Lean Transformation of industrial systems and the related main models and tools.
The approach is based on micro-learning, and the contents are organized into 2 Units. Materials are short videos, readings, quick quizzes for self-assessment, practical case studies and exercises developed in collaboration with the industrial partner.
Unit 1 scope is understanding the concept of the Value Stream in production systems:
• What a Value Stream is (Basic concepts about Lean and wastes in production);
• How to map a Value Stream (Elements of a Value Stream, Value Stream Mapping and symbols);
• Key Performance Indicators for the Value Stream (Cycle time analysis and definition of losses in production).
In Unit 2, the focus will shift to learning:
• How to improve a Value Stream (Continuous improvement and PDCA cycle, Value Stream Design);
• Tools for lean re-engineering of production systems (Decoupling: Buffer and supermarket, Production leveling and control, Closed loop kanban circuits).